Saturday, October 4, 2008

Week 7

I think it is very important for teachers to understand technology and computers. The way our society is running today it seems as though a good computer comes out today and a much better computer comes out the next day! Our technology is growing by leaps and bounds and to not understand what we have to offer today means tomorrow that person is going to be behind even more. Students are now being born into a world full of technology a teacher must understand what it is about. While reading the passage I saw this sentence that really brings this idea home, "if a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write."
When I first graduated high school and deciding on a college to go to my grandparents told me that I would not have to go to college that I would make a great living on a high school diploma. Even though I knew this statement was not true, I came to realize how different times were when they were growing up. In my grandparents time school was not a major requirement only knowing how to read and write was good enough to get you a good job. In my parents time it was good enough to get through high school and maybe even a technical school. In todays time you must get through high school as well as college to even be considered for a job. My point to all this is times have changed, more ideas are being brought to the table and more ways of getting the job done. Students must know computers and the only way they can learn is through teachers.
Technology is taking over and people have to keep up if they want to stay with the work force and society. So my point to this whole blog is that teachers must understand technology, not just those fresh out of college, we need our older and more experienced teachers to stay in the game. The world is not changing and getting better, we need our teachers to do the same.

No comments: