Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Week 11

I never thought that an iPod was used for more reasons than downloading your favorite songs and watching your favorite movies. It has also become a popular device for ways to make working out go by faster, that is what I use my iPod for. But unbeknownst to me it is used in classrooms.
I found an article where teachers in Zambia are using iPods to enhance training in studies like mathmatics, science, and english. EDC distributed twelve iPods to teachers who teach sixth grade. They show videos and explain in detail concepts in the three subjects. The teachers either have a solar powered generator or a foot powered genrator. When the school year ends in November they will evaluate the effectiveness of the iPod by measuring teacher performance. If the experiment worked out well the staff plans to distribute the idea to more schools across the country.
In my opinion I think it would be better used for adults in continuing education. It seems to me that college students would take advantage of the iPod and not use the device the way it is suppose to. Concerning the experiment in Zambia I think it was a great idea and I hope every teacher benfited from the project, after all an iPod is nothing but a hand held laptop.

No comments: