Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Week 4

This video really amazed me the facts in this video are unreal, I never knew technology was growing by such leaps and bounds! Being a citizen in the United States I always thought we were the best country in the world, I guess that is what i get for listening to politicians. In the video it said every seconds thirty-four babies are born, five in India, four in China, and one in the US! No wonder we have so many immigrants coming into the states, there country is overflowing! There were so many interesting facts but one that I really thought was interesting is that Great Britain in the 1900's was the richest in the world, largest military, center of the world business and finance, strongest education system, currency was the worlds standard of value, and they had the highest standard of living. It makes me wonder what they are now?

I always knew that some countries were somewhat more intelligent that the US but I did not realize how many more college graduates there were in China compared to us, the US has 1.3 million graduates, and China has 3.3 million, is that because they have so many more people? I knew at one time that the China had a policy where you could only have one offspring per family, since they have so many more people maybe that is why there is so many more graduates. Another shocking fact that I saw was China will be fluent in English is 10 years, does this mean Chinese will be a thing of the past?

Since I recently turned 21 I thought this was interesting, we have watched twenty thousand hours of t.v. (I agree with this), ten thousand hours of video games, I do not agree with this because I do not play video games nor was I allowed to play them as a child growing up so I know this does not apply to me, ten thousand hours on the phone, I agree, and the last fact was two hundred fifty thousand emails or texts have been sent and received. It amazes me that four year olds are now computer savoy! When I was four I do not remember seeing computers that much, much less playing on them. Since I love text messaging I thought it was interesting to know that the first text was sent and received in December of 1992. It so neat to me to know how different people use the Internet to their advantage, one in eight couples that were married in 2005 met online! I believe this because it seems like there are new dating sites popping up everyday.Another fact I found interesting is that there are five times more words now than when Shakespeare was alive.

I love to know interesting facts about times today compared to maybe fifty years ago. Even though sometimes people do not like change sometimes it is for the better. Even though I think video games are ridiculous, they are a thing of the future. I still believe having technology is a good and bad thing.

No comments: